Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Changing Seasons

The trees are turning golden very quickly now. A skein of some forty or so geese flew from due north and went right over the hostel on their southern trajectory. Those vee formations are a wonder to behold. As they fly on there is a constant shifting of position so that the goose at the apex of the vee only holds its position for a short time. The due south flight line would put them on target for either Morecambe Bay, the Dee or the Severn estuaries. They were too far east for the Solway. If they came in a straight line I guess they came from Svalbard, Spitzbergen in the Arctic North. Its wonderful when you think about it, how they can fly all that way.
Whilst in the forest a red squirrel put in an appearance high up in a larch tree. Later on I saw a buzzard drifting lazily in the sky.
I haven't seen any deer this time round but their spoors are plentiful. Judging by the small size of the prints I reckon they are Roe Deer. They are around. As I sit drawing in the forest I can hear their characteristic asthmatic sounding cough. I did hear a bellow the other day. It could only be a stag, (you don't get cattle in dense forest), the rut starts any time now.

No comments: