Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Clearing a Welsh Wilderness



The garden of my daughter's house in Bargoed is huge. Its more like a park for size and it extends steeply up a mountainside. It is rather more than she can handle on her own. When we arrived it was plain to see it had become not a little overgrown. There were brambles in among the breacken and those brambles would not have been out of place in a scene from a Tolkein fantasy epic. One particular one that extended down the stairway shown here was as thick as my arm and about twety feet long, I kid you not. They were vicious thorny things. Anyway, to cut the long story short, a week and two sore backs later, my wife and I had cleared things somewhat.

We had intended to visit some tourist spots in Wales, such as Brecon, Llanthony Priory and so on but we got too engrossed in the garden. We did go to Merthyr on a rain Monday to look at the "Sea Pictures" exhibition. The gallery was very busy and they had hung my show well. Not as I envisioned it but it was just as striking nonetheless for that. In fact it turned out far better than I imagined. The show runs until the end of the month. You can visit the gallery link here.
We both had a good holiday even if it wasn't as planned. Apart from the first couple of days being very wet, the rest of the week was glorious. In the evenings, while my other half watched a bit of TV I took to wandering in the local woodlands. more to stop my back stiffening up than to admire the scenery.
Eliie and the kids returned after we had gone back to Lancaster. She told us later she was more than pleased with our efforts.

No comments: