Sunday, November 18, 2007

Arches within Arches


I featured this on my other site.
Αγιος Λαζαρός church of St. Lazarus in Larnaka. A cloister runs parallel to the south side of the church and it has a vaulted ceiling. It is interesting how we come to see more as we draw "from the life." The open arches in the arcading contrast with the solidity of the vaulted ceiling filling the spaces between the ribs. In this case, some of the ribbing is absent and the whole thing is held up by its own dynamic. Unlike English Gothic, the decoration here is minimal.

I thought it would be a good idea to show it here too as a supplement to the earlier entry (see below).
Every time I draw "from the life" it is a voyage of discovery. As the drawing progresses the subject reveals to me more than what I initially saw. This is the joy of art, the continuous unfolding or revelation. Like in this example, these arches show their "archiness" the more we look.

No comments: