Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sea Pictures

One of the "Sea Pictures" painted at Larnaka. It is A3 size (30 x 42 cms) done in watercolour and graphite drawing mixture. It is not intended to be a finished work but expoloring a few ideas.
This one was featured in "The Draughtsman" yesterday. A3 graphite drawing. After a long day in the studio, just as the sun is going down I sometimes walked back to the hotel along the sea front. In fact I sometimes walked to the studio by the same route in a morning. Invariably I would enter the water for a long plodge. Plodging* is great here in Larnaka. You can wade out to sea for 200 yards and the water still only reaches up to your knees. So there you have it, the clear Mediterranean waters, the sandy bottom and a solitary stone and the waves sparkling in the sun. Sums it all up really.

*"Plodging" is a Northumbrian term to mean paddling or wading.




"Sea Pictures" as regular followers of this blog probably know, was the title of my last exhibition in Merthyr Tydfil and is the collective name for that particular body of work. Part of my remit at CYCA was to do a presentation of my work. What I had prepared was a resume of sketchbook work over this last year to highlight what can be done when unable to use a studio. I had prepared a powerpoint show and knowing that Cyprus College of Art use a Linux system on their computers I set it up accordingly.

Of course I arrived to find no electricity and no computers. What to do?

One of the students let me use his laptop and we managed the college projector via a jury cable.

But near disaster! The lad's computer was not Linux compatible. But, as luck had it, I had brought a memory stick with me and on it I had a copy of a presentation of "Sea Pictures" as part of an exhibition proposal I had sent to a gallery before coming out to Cyprus. This was in Microsoft format. So at least the students got a slide show out of me.

The in-house lecturers also gave slide shows of their work from time to time and each time it was done something went wrong. Mine was no exception.


This is "Atlantic #9". One of the Sea Pictures. As can be seen, the image is in b&w at one end and full colour the other. It is my way of trying to show the sea's ever changing nature. The statement that accompanies the show says,

The sea is ever-changing: waves rise and fall, tides come and go, the light constantly shifts and its quality is in constant flux, objects on the beach are continuously transformed.
With multiple images and varied tone I try to highlight these constant changes.

This was the basis of my presentation. The following day I had a teaching "slot" where I had the students for a morning while we sat on the beach and did a "sea workshop."

No comments: