Saturday, February 16, 2008

Serendipity


Flicking through some old photos I came across one I took at Tintagel back in 2006. The scene was post sunset over the Atlantic. The cloud patterns had me thinking of developing an idea from there. I thought I would do a sketch strip which I did in watercolour at first. It had a bit of a "Turner" look about it so decided to see how it might look in acrylics. I was intending to make a larger piece later made up of 20 x 20 cm squares but when I finished this thing on the left here on ten centimetre squares I felt I had arrived at the statement. To make another piece would have it looking too contrived. The spontanaety would be lost. So this is it. Definitely "just something I ran up" in a half hour or so. It came together as a happy accident, - serendipity. It only needed a title....
Dusk.

7 comments:

CrazyCath said...

I think Serendipity is a better title. I'd call it that.

Norman said...

Trouble is much of my work is the result of serendipity.

Swearing Mother said...

I think those are my all time favourite Norman pics. Really, really brilliant.

Swearing Mother said...

Title: "Blue Sky Thinking"?

CrazyCath said...

Or "Mr Blue Sky" (ref ELO not plagiarised!)

Norman said...

Actually I'll probably stick with "Dusk". I tend to use one-word titles and let you the viewer put your own interpretation on it.
If my pictures and/or the titles touch something that is deeply personal to yourself, - and no one need know about it, - then it hasn't been a waste of time. All art should say something to someone but not necessarilly the same to each.

CrazyCath said...

Serendipity is one word. Still like it. And dusk is serendipity in a way.
:0)