Sunday, March 02, 2008

Côr Meibon Penybontfawr

Yes it was St.David's day yesterday and my wife had bought us tickets for a choral concert hosted by the Lancaster and Morecambe Welsh Society. They are a group made up of Welsh folk and friends whose aim is to encourage and understand Welsh culture. We got rather interested through our youngest daughter taking up residence in Bargoed in South Wales. My wife has been having Welsh language lessons with this society for some little time now. She even went for a week's intensive at Abergevenny (Y Fenni) last autumn.

But not me, I have enough to do learning Greek as part of my Cypriot connection.

But last night it was, "Cymru nam beith!" A visit to the Wetsh Embassy bach!

But seriously, there's nothing quite like a Welsh male voice choir. This particular one came up specially for the occaision from Penybont in mid Wales. Theirs was a varied programme including spirituals, a couple of operatic choruses as well as traditional Welsh music. At the end of the concert we all stood up to sing "Land of Our Fathers" (in Welsh) for which we were given copies of words so even us non-Welsh speakers could give it our best.
An enjoyable night out. Yaci da!

2 comments:

CrazyCath said...

Checkout the sketches on this blog. I think you'll like it -

http://allwoodlog.blogspot.com/ (dunno how to link in comments - sorry. You'll have to copy/paste into address bar).

Norman said...

I've bookmarked it so it will be seen each time I visit the Blogosphere. This is turning into a lo-o-o-ong bookmark!!!