Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lancaster Curiosity (12)

Our via dolorosa starts at the massive doors of John o'Gaunt's Gateway at Lancaster Castle and sets of down the steep mediaeval cobbled hill. After a few short yards there is a footpath crosses to our left. Whether this path existed in 1620 I have no way of knowing but it looks ancient enough. Follw this path down towards a narrow Street....
....Castle Hill. It looks as though it has changed little over the centuries and it doesn't take much to imagine the sound of iron rimmed cartweels grinding on these cobbles. Follow the steet down to the small open square. You can see the old market cross at the end of this street in the background. I pass along this street every evening on my way to the bus station to get the bus home. Most of this street's occupants are lawyers and estate agents, but just to my right as I took this photo there is a tiny cottage museum which is open in the summer season. It shows a small kitchen complete with range and suitably costumed staff. "Living history" its called. I can remember living like that and I may be getting on a bit but I don't think I'm old enough for the history books just yet....
Or am I?

No comments: