Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Broken Continuity



This is one of a series I have done recently based on the statue of Hermaphrodite (Ερμαφρόδιτος) who was the offspring of Hermes and Aphrodite. At first I featured how the statue might have looked before it got broken but later did it as above. The line drawings are striking in that I discovered, quite by accident how the missing component(s) do, in their way complete the continuity of the whole. In other words, the eye "reads" what is not there and completes the picture. Perhaps this is why I was attracted to these Hellenic statues in the first place.

Been down in South Wales last week visiting family. Went for a couple of walks up on the fells, they call them mountains in Wales, but what was surprising was that I did it. All the way up and all the way down again, just when I was beginning to think at my age Iwas getting a bit past it!

There's life in th' ol' man yet!

1 comment:

Swearing Mother said...

Norman, "there's life in the old man yet" was what I thought tonight when watching Mick Jagger cavorting about like a 20 year old.

And there's you, mountain walking! Great stuff.