Thursday, April 10, 2008

Countdown

I can count the days on one hand to when I leave for Cyprus. There's always a small multitude of last minute things to do before going which keeps me of the Blogosphere. Actually, I will probably be out of things Blogwise 'til June. I don't think the studios at Lempa have in-house internet so I will have to rely on internet cafes which can get a bit expensive but i will be keeping track of my e-mails. I will probably but in on the comments section of some of you from time to time to let you know I'm still around.
This last week at the studio I did the above mixed media drawing, mainly gouache and drypoint. It is of three (now headless) figures from the Parthenon in Athens. The original, which is part of the Elgin Marbles is in the British Museum in London. The reclining figure on the right is Pallas Athene about to give birth to one of the Great Mortals e.g. Achilles, Odyseus, Agamamnon....
I'll have to do a bit more research to find out who.
Another artist is renting my space from me for the six or so weeks I'm away so I'll have to make some room. This next day or two will be spent storing some of my stuff away as well as sorting what I'm taking with me. Some of my "Sea Pictures" will be on show at Arteria in Lancaster throughout May, June and July. The Private View is set for May 19 but I won't be there, I'll be 3000 miles away. So tomorrow the work will be transferred to the gallery. That should generate some room in my studio.

3 comments:

Swearing Mother said...

Off to Cyprus again Norman? How lovely, looking forward to seeing your pics on your return.

Have a lovely time.

CrazyCath said...

Eeee how the other half live eh?

Almost there dad. Almost there...

Norman said...

SM, Cath, thanks to you both. I was on the phone to them yesterday and told my room looks towards the sea about two fields away. There is a private path from the studio to the beach. At the end of the path, a Kafenion.
All that sun, sea, sand and bottomless cups of coffee....
its a tough life but I'll adapt.