Thursday, February 12, 2009

Watch out for the shrapnel!



I've been making wooden sculptures this last week or so. Most of them are made from offcuts and are really quite small at 2" or so but the one shown here is 35 cm tall, or 14" in old money.

This Grecian figure is based on one of the Karyatids of which I have done several drawings lately. She is carved from a piece of four by two timber. An offcut from a length of floor joisting/rafter.

Today I started on another figure, slightly larger. I've been doing the rough carving all day. Big mallet, big (20 mm) gouge and giving it some welly. Shrapnel ricocheting round the studio in all directions! Very good activity for a cold day, also very therapeutic.

Carving is a very physical form of art making. I've had a good day. More of the same tomorrow.

4 comments:

Swearing Mother said...

Who was it that said, when asked how he had carved a lion from a huge piece of wood, that he'd just chipped away all the bits that didn't look like lion?

Is that how you do it? Looks very hard to me Norman.

Norman said...

More or less, yes. In a way its a bit like unpacking a box where all the packing chips have got glued together and you have to tease it out with a hammer and chisel.
Carving is much slower than painting, that's for sure!

Mickle in NZ said...

Been reading for a wee whiley, discovered you thanks to that dear Cath, one of life's treasures.

This looks so beautiful, and is reminding me of my many years ago (1983) course in Greek Art.

A different medium, yet the "essence" (?), inner workings(?), Mickle Struggling and not finding the words I want.... this piece "speaks" of you and your art.

looking forward to see what comes next - whether is this piece or your next inspiration. Continue to have fun, Michelle in NZ

Norman said...

Thank-you Michelle (in NZ).
I made sculptures some years ago but moved into painting and drawing. However, last spring I was asked to do some drawing input at the Lemba branch of Cyprus College of Art. What I was NOT told was, it was a school of stone carving!
That has rather rekindled my enthusiasm for sculpture.