Thursday, February 19, 2009

Work in Progress


Making sculpture, especially carving, can be quite a slow process. But then again, I'm in no hurry. I have no upcoming exhibitions in the near future so i can take my time and diversify to use the modern word.
This is what is on the go at the moment. She stands about half a metre high. Not a Grecian figure but one influenced by Greek art. If truth be known there is probably some influence from Cypriot ceramic sculpture. Examples can be seen at Vassos in Larnaka and the Lemba pottery near Pafos.
I have been working on this piece for this last week. It will probably be finished in a few days. By "finished" I mean the carving and some polishing will have been done. After that the wood will need to be waxed and finely polished. Then there's the plinth to make... its a never ending process. Its getting quite addictive, this sculpting.

No comments: