Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ginormous Moth

Saw this moth as I went into the studio. There it was, sleeping at the bottom of the ground floor window. When I first saw it I thought it was a pipstrele bat it was so big but when I took a closer look I could see it was clearly a moth.
I've never seen one quite like it outside of nature books. All of us at the studio had a look but none of us could identify it. Is it a rare British visitor? Is it from the south brought here by fabled global warming? None of knew but I said I know someone who might.
One of my three daughters is interested in this sort of thing. She told me it is a Poplar Hawk
Moth and is usually found in broadleaf wodland and is fairly common.
Well the broadleaf woodland is easily located. Lancaster Castle, across the road from the studio, is surrounded by broadleaf trees., so much so that in summer only John o' Gaunt's Gateway is visible through the foliage.

2 comments:

Thumbelina said...

Yeah - and another of your daughters can tell you that they were a little TOO common in the kitchen at night n a certain nurses' home in a certain part of Surrey. So they might be from the south!
We used to get some huge monsters in that kitchen. Wing spans you wouldn't believe. Well, none of you DID believe me. I have a phobia of moths since! Do not like them at all. Perversely, I am ok with butterflies, which are just coloured moths at the end of the day. Nope. *shudder* Can't cope with moths.

If you wanna see some holiday pics, keep up with the blog!

Mickle in NZ said...

Ginormous maybe, so very beautiful.

Get some truely enormous ones around my wee home over our summer. With enormously long feelers. I shut the windows before their nightly wake up time!