Sunday, March 06, 2011

An Obsession (5)

"Homage to Jawlensky" was painted about a month ago. About time, I reckoned, I did a version of the original that has taken me on this artistic journey.
I didn't really awaken to this until I was delivering a lecture in Larnaka, Cyprus, back in 2009 where I showed some slides of my work and this time showed a full retrospective rather than focussing on more recent stuff. To my surprise, the "Girls in Aprons" aroused much interest and it was one of the full-time teachers at CYCA who suggested that I explore this in more depth, especially at this stage in my career. There is an obvious underlying thread.
They could be right. These works have always been painted in a random off-and-on manner. I always kept the subject at arms length lest this obsession grow into a compulsion. But now I think the time has come to explore this a little more.

If there is anyone out there reading this, I welcome your comments.

No comments: