Saturday, March 17, 2012

"The Offering"

Back in November I posted the earlier stages of this work and the problems I was having with wood shrinkage and its resultant cracks.
The problem was never entirely resolved. I managed to do repair work but the scars could not be completely hidden. But I decided to finish the piece anyway.

If you look closely at the knees  you can see the repaired cracks. 
This view shows the bowl's interior. I might make similar bowl in the future.

Side view.

I discussed this work with a couple of local galleries. As a saleable item in the popular market the cracks detract from the piece's value. But as an object d' Art the cracks add to the aesthetic. Interesting, - hmm? In the event I've wrapped it up to preserve it because, for all its faults, I like it.

3 comments:

Mark Zellner said...

This is a very fascinating piece of craftsmanship! I love the color of the basin. Tell me, is there some sort of significance/purpose/history in the design of this type of sculpture?

Norman said...

Dear Mark
This piece is part of a collection I have made putting a 21st century slant on ancient Greek forms. The colour in the basin harks back to a time when I worked in a steel foundry and was fascinated by the colours of metal in the casting ladles. This statue is of a priestess making an offering to her deity, so why not have her offering a bowl of raw energy?

chester said...

Wonderful piece. Have you ever tried Polyethelene glycol to stabilize the wood? Keep the beautiful work coming.